Time and Tide Bell ~ #200Fish

A Continuing Arts Programme facing Lincolnshire's Coast

#200Fish is a community project to create works of art based on each of the species of fish found in the North Sea

To learn more and find out how to join the project click here.

Fish #90 Opah Lampris guttatus ~ Lena Sass

Oil on canvas 110 x 81 cm

Fish #90 Opah Lampris guttatus ~ Lily Castaño

Opah is known as a moon fish or sunfish, king fish, red fin ocean pan and jerusalem haddock. She is a large colourful deep red-orange bodied fish, with her belly rose and her fins are bright vermillion. . Two living species are recognized, although 6 species are found as a result of splitting the L Guttatus as they each have a restricted geographic range. The Lampreys Guttatus was named in 1788 and is thought to now habitat the ocean of the North Atlantic. Very little is known of Opah biology and ecology. Assumptions are made that they live out their entire lives in the open ocean, at depths of 50 to 500 m, with possible explorations into the bathypelagic zone.

The Opah is the newest addition to the list of regionally endothermic fish - having a warm heart and is able to keep most of its body consistently above the water temperature. Opah likes to swim and live amongst tropical to temperate waters of most oceans and eats squid and krill as well as small fish.

The great white shark and mako shark as well as man are predators, for purposes of the exhibition, its man who poses the biggest threat. Opah is a prized trophy for deep water fishermen and they are frequently caught in many longline tuna catches, alongside that of the Dolphin. Opah is becoming increasingly seen in the seafood market, having originated as sushi and sashimi dishes and is thought to be a popular food in Hawaii restaurants. The average meal only consists of An average of 35% of her and the remaining 65% is laid to waste.

Reason for Opah
I have chosen the Opah Fish as she is the most beautiful Fish I have came across in the list of North Sea Fish and I am concerned that her beauty will become a commodity.
"Opah - her absence in this installation for me only exists in memory, ceremony, and with this I hold a testament in the use of a single candle to her and her kind". Opah became so beautiful that thousands across the globe have hunted and wanted her for their pleasure For the purposes of the installation, this memory is such as we've pushed Opah to extinction in our efforts to maintain our levels of status as consumers.
This installation represents Opah in memory and ceremony. For the purposes of the installation work, the candle represents the beacon that she is. I felt compelled to highlight that we embrace the challenges that global warming, climate change, sea level rise, ocean acidification and over-exploitation present to her and her kind. We as artists, have an opportunity to lead the way in making commitments to shed light on past, present and future issues and help overcome the challenges presented by mankind.

Previous Fish Next Fish

Lincolnshire Time and Tide Bell Community Interest Company is a not-for profit organisation, registered at Companies House. Company Number 10934941